HomeNewsLCHS to put on improv show and fundraiser

LCHS to put on improv show and fundraiser

Lloydminster Comprehensive High School’s drama department is putting on a improv show to help raise funds for the department.

“The Last Laugh” show will be headlined by five improvisers from Vancouver TheatreSports and Edmonton Rapid Fire Theatre. Students from the Improv Club will also joining the headliners in performing during the show. Drama Teacher at LCHS Simon Stang says the show is also a fundraiser that will see all of the funds going towards the drama department.

“We go to improv festivals that we need to spend lots of money on hotels, transportation and club clothing for the improvisers all sorts of things like that so all the money goes directly back. I’ve never had to charge any of my students in the drama club or the improv club and sort of registration fee.”

Grade 12 at LCHS Kierra Payne is the captain of the Improv Club and says having the funds directly benefit her means a lot.

“I don’t personally or within my family have tons of money to spend on trips and stuff. I think about people that play sports and how much money they spend on all the things they go to and being able to have those experiences without it feeling like a burden at the same time makes it easier to relax into the situation.”

During the show awards will also be given out by Stang, along with a scholarship.

“I give out the most promising improviser of the year award, which comes a long with a $1,000 improv camp scholarship and then I also give away the improviser of the year award, which usually goes to my top grade 12 student going on to do whatever,” says Stang.

There will be a pre-show happening on May 24 at LCHS and the main show will be taking place on June 8. Tickets are $30 each for adults and $25 for students at the Vic Juba Theatre.