Listen Live

HomeNewsLloydminster Rescue Squad building making progress

Lloydminster Rescue Squad building making progress

The new Lloydminster Rescue Squad building is making progress in its final weeks of construction.

The building is being built with the help of students from Lloydminster Comprehensive High School. Grade 11 Student Heman Longaquit has been involved with the project since mid-January and has helped out with installing windows, insulation and the roof.

“Studying it in class is way different than actually doing it so I’ve learned how to do the roof and the studs in the walls.”

Construction Teacher Mark Grillandini says the project is progressing well.

“We’re down to the final two weeks, we’re just about to start the drywalling and mudding and taping. At that point, we’ll be finished the project and it’ll drive away on June 16.”

The building will be given to the rescue squad in June and the organization will have to complete the rest of the project including painting, moldings and carpeting.

Inside of the building.

So far the project has seen various companies in the community donating their time and materials, including the Lloydminster company Foam Masters. Owner and Operator Wayne Hawke says they wanted to be involved to help out a good cause.

“We’re spraying the underside of the floor to protect for frost and the building is free standing so the underside is susceptible to cold and frost.”

On Monday, the company came and completed the spray foam for the flooring of the building.

Grillandini says the students are still enthusiastic about the project as it comes to an end.

“The one thing that works well for them is to see progress each day so if its some task that takes a long time to complete then they’re interested kind of goes down a bit. So they like to have almost instant gratification.”

The 22 feet wide by 52 feet long building will have three different office spaces, as well as meeting and utility rooms.