Lloydminster RCMP are warning the public to be careful as children return to school.
Children will be going back to classes on Tuesday, September 1, and the RCMP reminds drivers that a 30 km per hour speed limit in school zones will be enforced between 8 and 9:30, 11:30 and 1:30, and 3 and 4:30.
The RCMP also ask that the public obey flashing lights on school buses, and that bus drivers have been instructed to record violators’ information and report them to police.
The RCMP say that other tips to planning a safe first day at school include:
- Plan out the route to and from school with your children;
- Plan what to do incase of an emergency;
- Teach your kids about stranger danger;
- Ensure your kids know how to use crosswalks appropriately;
- Ensure your kids are wearing reflective clothing as the year progresses;
- Ensure helmets are warn if they are biking or skateboarding;
- Have your kids walk in groups when possible.
“This time of year is exciting for many kids and we want to ensure their safety,” said Constable Grant Kirzinger. “We will be out patrolling to remind motorists that school zone speed limits are in effect and taking enforcement as necessary.”