Listen Live

HomeNewsSt. Walburg school offering "adulting" lessons for a day

St. Walburg school offering “adulting” lessons for a day

St. Walburg teenagers will be learning basic life skills to prepare them for a life on their own. 

The St. Walburg School Community Council is hosting an “adulting day” on October 8 for students from Grade 10 to 12. About 65 students will learn about budgeting, income tax, basic vehicle maintenance and interview skills.

Student Support Services Teacher Melissa Gabrielli says the SCC does a survey every year looking at what students are interested in learning more about. The surveys came back showing students wanting to be more prepared for leaving their homes and living on their own.

“It’s a good opportunity for them to be exposed to some of the things they’re going to happen when they’re out of school. It’s also a good way to bring community members into the school and create a relationship with them and make them less worried about leaving.”

The SCC is bringing in businesses from the community including Synergy Credit Union to teach about finances, Novlan Bros Sales to teach about vehicle maintenance and a professional accountant to teach about income tax.

The classes are mandatory and will go from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. with the last lesson of the day having the students make sandwiches and prepare them for the daily routine of making lunches.

“Our grades 10 to 12 take Practical and Applied Arts for cooking so it wasn’t one of their top choices but we thought instead to do a make your own lunch line.” 

Gabrielli says the SCC was aware of a trend of adults not having learned basic life skills earlier in life. Before the summer break, the SCC made a list of 15 topics and had students rate which ones they were most interested in.

Gabrielli says the students are looking forward to the lessons and she’s received comments from former St. Walburg school students who are excited by the idea of the event.

After the students finish with their lessons they will be surveyed and if the results are positive the SCC is looking at holding another “adulting day” in the spring.