â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsLPSD continues nutrition program to help in-need students during pandemic

LPSD continues nutrition program to help in-need students during pandemic

The Lloydminster Public School Division is making sure in-need students have food to eat, despite being away from school.

Since schools were shut down due to COVID-19, LPSD has aligned their nutrition program to work with community partners at The Olive Tree. They’ve also continued the Salvation Army Backpack program, which helps provide food for 150 students a week.

Superintendent of Education Brent Thomas says they modified the program after guidance from the Alberta Government, who provides the grant money to keep the program going.

“We did get a request from the Alberta Government that said ‘these dollars still exist, you need to make sure you find ways to support the community and your kids, outside what you’re typically doing.’ The biggest change is now we’ve had to try to support families from home, so we’ve really worked on community partnership.”

Families needing the extra support are encouraged to begin the process by reaching out to Home-School Liason Gina Nelson. From there, the process of finding the right community assistance will begin.

Thomas explains that having this program in place will benefit kids academically, as kids who are going hungry will have a more difficult time trying to learn.

“In our new setting, remotely teaching the way we are, I think [the nutrition program] allows us to stay connected with those families, we’re supporting them the bests way we can, and helping them get through this difficult time.”

LPSD families in need can reach out to Home-School Liason Gina Nelson at 780-808-1631.