â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsLakeland College's Open House goes digital

Lakeland College’s Open House goes digital

Lakeland College is still opening their doors to students aspiring to learn on their campuses, however, this year has gone virtual.

In an effort to follow COVID-19 guidelines and protect staff and students physically on campus, prospective learners will be able to engage with their program of interest, tour the campus and get a peek at student life through online videos and live streams, among other digital means.

Lakeland Recruitment and Enrolment Supervisor Kayleigh Schmid says while they wish they could showcase the campus in person, students and families get to discover the campus from the comfort of their own homes.

“We’re very excited to meet our prospective students virtually, and show them what Lakeland College is about, in the best possible way.”

Student resources will also be showcased, including counselling, Indigenous supports, health services, financial aid and awards, the library and learning commons, and accessibility services. People wanting to apply will also have access to the Open House Help Centre via chat, phone and video conferencing should they want to apply.

As happens every year, students applying virtually to go to Lakeland get their application fee waived if they apply during the open house, just like they would if a regular open house went on.

Schmid adds that there were successes and challenges for this year’s open house, but people on campus have been very supportive.

“Everyone involved with the open house has really stepped up, created some videos, like I said, done these webinars, doing live tours through our Dairy Learning Centre, our Animal Health Clinic, so everyone has really kind of stepped up. It’s been a whole approach trying to make this experience as best as possible for students attending.”

The Lakeland College Virtual Open House will run from 9 AM to 3 PM on October 23rd and 24th.