Listen Live

HomeNewsApplications for 2021 Saskatchewan Agriculture Student Scholarship Program now open

Applications for 2021 Saskatchewan Agriculture Student Scholarship Program now open

The future leaders in the province’s agriculture sector will now have access to the province’s 2021 Saskatchewan Agriculture Student Scholarship Program.

The program provides a scholarship to grade twelve students across the province that want to make any of the various facets of agriculture into a career. Every year, a theme is determined, and prospective recipients are encouraged to discuss and explore the theme in their submission.

This year’s theme is ‘transparency,” and students working to receive the scholarship will learn what transparency is and how it is connected to the public’s perception of modern agriculture. The Government also looks to foster a conversation about where food comes from and how everyone along the value-chain, from the field to table, shares a role in communicating about food production.

Students will submit either a creative three-minute video or a 1,000-word essay. along with a letter of conditional acceptance to a post-secondary institution and a letter of recommendation from either a teacher/professor, agriculture industry leader or community leader.

They’ll be marked on several factors: alignment with the theme provided, development of ideas, structure and clarity, creativity and quality, and professionalism. Leadership qualities and school/community involvement in your letters of recommendation will also be taken into consideration. One $4,000 winning scholarship will be handed out, along with $2,000 to each runner up.

“The Agriculture Student Scholarship Program is an opportunity for our province’s youth to help tell the industry’s story,” Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister David Marit said in a statement.  “By encouraging the best and brightest young minds to pursue a career in agriculture, we are helping to ensure the future success of this important sector.”

Applications are now open online, with the deadline being March 1, 2021. Recipients should be announced by May of 2021.