Listen Live

HomeNewsAnnual Lakeland concert to be streamed in month-long series

Annual Lakeland concert to be streamed in month-long series

Lakeland College is bringing the live music experience inside with the reworked Band in the House concert.

The annual concert will be streamed featuring a series of live and pre-recorded performances every Thursday evening at 7 p.m. for the month of March. The first show will be on March 4th with local talent Jordyn Pollard, Brandon Davis, North 49 and many others.

Agribusiness student and project lead Jessa Dumkee says they aren’t aiming for the same goals as they usually would for Band in the Sand.

“We’re not trying to compete with what Band in the Sand usually is, instead we’re creating a new opportunity for everyone to connect. Fostering a sense of community is more important than ever this year, and we’ve had very positive responses from the students.”

Cole Ambrock, agribusiness instructor and project coordinator, says turning the Band in the Sand into an online event helps the student organizers work on several skills which will help them in the future.

“Together, they are working on booking talent, researching different digital platforms for the event and ensuring working out all the logistical details. It’s a tremendous learning opportunity for our students. They are developing essential business, leadership and management skills. It is one of many hands-on activities we incorporate into the program that ensures when our students graduate, they have real experience that will help them thrive in the workplace.”

Normally, the concert would help raise funds for student clubs at the college. In 2019, the event brought in $65,000.

“We will not be contributing to student clubs this year, instead we are helping build the campus community during the COVID-19 pandemic. Now more than ever, our key objective is unifying all students and displaying what it means to be a Lakelander. It’s so important that we still promote the community to students and give everyone a sense of belonging here at Lakeland. Keeping everyone connected, even if it’s virtually, is very important to us.”

Band in the House will be streamed on Run The World. Organizers will be updating the Band In The Sand Facebook page with more information on the concert series during the month.