â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsLocal high schools tackle provincial skills contest

Local high schools tackle provincial skills contest

Lloydminster High schools are representing the area at the Alberta Skills contest.

The annual showcase challenges students to apply their learning to topics like Architectural technology, Mechanical CADD, Cosmetology and Communication mediums.

Alan Griffith who is the Schools Based Coordinator at Lloydminster Comprehensive High School, spoke to the extra challenges faced to prepare their 10 students.

“We’ve been restricted some what, in regards to the amount  extra-curricular we can do with students in person. So we have had to be creative and find ways to continue to prepare students within the classroom as well.”

Griffith and his students are looking forward to the virtual provincial contest this week and similar anticipation is building across town  at Holy Rosary High School.

Skye Ferguson, Communications Media Teacher, has four students in training in both video and photography.

“The photography competition is on Tuesday and the video competition is on Thursday. They have full day competition. They have seven hours to complete the assigned task for the day. And then if they get gold at the provincial level, then they get to move on to nationals.”

Good luck to our students both at Holy Rosary High School and Lloydminster Comprehensive High School as they represent at the Alberta Skills Contest being held virtually from April 19 to 23.