â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsBishop Lloyd student's green project earns top-ten spot at region-wide competition

Bishop Lloyd student’s green project earns top-ten spot at region-wide competition

Bishop Lloyd Middle School eighth-grader Maheen Mangla is putting her award-winning environmental project, with real-world applications in Lloydminster, into motion.

Her project was submitted as part of the Caring for Our Watersheds Alberta contest. In her presentation, she outlined her concept of using excess vegetable waste at the local Walmart for composting.

That compost material would then be used to provide nutrients to a vegetable garden, the products of which would be donated to local Lloydminster foodbanks. Other applications could be preventing agriculture runoff into waterways by using it to make the natural compost.

Not just an on-paper idea, Mangla says she and her classmates are putting the plan in motion, and she hopes it has a long term impact here in the city.

“I wanted to give good food, like all-natural organic food, and also the environmental benefits are methane emissions being significantly reduced, and also avoiding pollution to enter the watershed.”

Mangla was one of 75 finalists. She went head to head with students ranging from seventh graders to grade twelves in our region and as far as Edmonton and Fort McMurray. In the end, she ended up cracking the top ten, coming home in 7th place.

As such, she received a $450 prize, with another $450 going towards the Bishop Lloyd School Community Garden at Bud Miller Park. Mangla explains this will go a long way in making this project real.

“I did a little breakdown, and that’s going to pay for all the tools we need since the class is coming together to plant the garden, and there’s also things like seeds and the actual renting of the plot.

While waiting for the weather to improve, students in the eighth-grade class are building a garden at school, which will be also used to grow vegetables.