HomeNewsLakeland ag students benefit from new grain cart

Lakeland ag students benefit from new grain cart

A brand new Demco 1050 grain cart is what students at Lakeland College, Vermilion now have on the farm to support their efforts at living the learning.

While the students saw the usefulness of the option to improve their operations, the funding support from alumnus Roy Kubica was timely in making it happen.

Geoff Brown, Dean of Agricultural Sciences says one of the great things about the learning experiences available through the Student-Managed Farm – Powered by New Holland (SMF) is students have to plan for the future and ask what needs to be done for long-term success.

College staff note the new grain cart will increase efficiency on the field. It has scales to weigh each load of grain. It can hold about 1,000 bushels and works with the Agrimatics Libra grain cart inventory platform. Weights will automatically download into this program so the combine operator will see how large each load of grain is as it’s unloading. The data is stored in the Libra program to allow for inventory tracking.

Kubica who was in the Class of 1966, is a longtime supporter of the College. His past contributions have allowed expansion of the land base as well as setting up the Roy J. Kubica Agriculture Scholarship in 2015 and the Roy J. Kubica Agriculture Bursary in 2020.

Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart, President and CEO of Lakeland College commended Kubica for his support.

“His generosity made it possible for us to grow our campus farm and I know so many students have been helped by his ongoing support of our awards program. This grain cart is another wonderful contribution, one that will enhance hands-on learning opportunities for our students using the latest agricultural technology.”

Wainwright-Stewart extended the gratitude of the Lakeland College community for Kubica’s generosity in support of future ag leaders.