Sharpen those skates as the City of Lloydminster’s outdoor ice surfaces officially open Saturday December 11th.
The City has nine ice surfaces opening Saturday including:
- Bud Miller All Seasons Park lake; only the east half of the lake is open. Users are asked to stay within the marked areas.
- Queen Elizabeth School, 5512 – 51 Avenue
- Kin-Kinette Park, 4713 – 57 Avenue
- Husky Oval (Servus Sports Centre), 5202 – 12 Street
- Bishop Lloyd Middle School, 5524 – 31 Street
- Winston Churchill Elementary School, 4402 – 27 Street
- Jack Kemp Community School, 3701 – 47 Avenue
- E.S. Laird Middle School, 4808 – 45 Avenue
- Robertson Park, 5105 – 34 Street
The lights at the Husky Oval will be on until 9 p.m. each night. Lights at Kin-Kinette Park, Jack Kemp Community School, Robertson Park and E.S. Laird Middle School will stay on until 10 p.m.
City-maintained outdoor ice surfaces are free to use and surfaces will be regularly maintained to assure quality. Helmets are strongly recommended.
Stormwater retention ponds
Officials advise residents to remain clear of stormwater retention ponds this winter season.
The ice thickness on retention ponds is not monitored and outdoor temperature fluctuations also play a factor in unstable ice surfaces. While the surface may appear frozen, continual water movement and fluctuating water levels add to the danger.
They advise if someone falls through the ice, do not go on the ice to attempt a rescue. Call 911 immediately for help.