Listen Live

HomeNewsScotiabank invests in student success at Lakeland College

Scotiabank invests in student success at Lakeland College

Over the next three years, Scotiabank is committing $125,000 to student success supports, including Indigenous services, financial aid and employment enhancement programs at Lakeland College.

Scotiabank’s investment will assist the Support Our Students (SOS) Enhanced Bursary, which helps students in dire financial need with no other means of financial support, according to College officials.

The current economic climate and pandemic have only made the SOS Enhanced Bursary demand grow, with application numbers exceeding the support available. Scotiabank’s welcome support will be distributed to students who need this lifeline of support.

Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart, President and CEO at Lakeland College is expressing the gratitude of the educational institution.

“Student success supports take many forms. Together, we are preparing our students to grow as confident, collaborative leaders ready to excel in their chosen industries and communities. On behalf of Lakeland and our students, we thank Scotiabank.”

The investment will also enhance Indigenous cultural services at each campus and fund Lakeland’s employment skills enhancement certificate, which bridges the gap for those needing to get their first full-time job or move toward additional post-secondary programming.

Tanja Perry, District Vice President Alberta North and Northwest Territories says this partnership is one of the many ways Scotiabank is continuing to help students jumpstart their professional careers.

“We’re proud to invest in success supports and services at Lakeland College that will ultimately help students gain full-time, meaningful employment.”

Scotiabank has been a longstanding partner in supporting student success and the student awards program at Lakeland, states the College release.