Lloydminster non-profit groups have until Friday September 30th to get their paperwork in for property tax exemptions.
The city is also detailing the checklist for non-profit organizations to meet the submission criteria:
- Facility must be described in Section 314 of the Lloydminster Charter and meet the qualifications and conditions of the Community Organizations Property Tax Exemption Regulation.
- Funds of the organization must be used for the purposes of the organization and not for the benefit of the organization’s directors or employees.
- The property must be able to meet specified accessibility and time-of-use requirements.
- Property must be owned or leased by a non-profit organization.
- Unrestricted more than 70 per cent of the time.
- Charitable and benevolent purpose that benefits the public for at least 60 per cent of the time the property is in use.
- Unrestricted access by race, culture, ethnic origin, religious belief, property ownership, unreasonable fees or other membership requirements.
- The property cannot be used in operation of a professional sports franchise.
Exemptions are approved for a three-year period, after which a new application is required. Non-profit organizations that were approved for a three-year exemption in 2021 are not required to re-apply until September 2023.
Additionally, if a non-profit organization purchases a property after the submission deadline, it may still submit an application and it will be at Council’s discretion to approve an exemption for the portion of the year that the non-profit organization owned the property.
Applications and supporting documents may be submitted via:
- email: [email protected]
c/o Assessment and Taxation
4420 50 Avenue
Lloydminster, AB/SK, T9V 0W2
More information is available on the city’s website.