Listen Live

HomeNewsSaskatchewan RCMP say 10 dead, 15 hurt as three-province manhunt continues

Saskatchewan RCMP say 10 dead, 15 hurt as three-province manhunt continues

The Saskatchewan RCMP has provided an update to an unfolding manhunt to catch Damien and Myles Sanderson, who are wanted in connection to a slew of attacks across the province.

In a press conference held just before 4PM Sunday, RCMP Provincial Commander Rhonda Blackmore told several news outlets that the death toll in this incident, which is reportedly numerous stabbings, is up to ten people over thirteen locations, with another fifteen people being treated for injuries.

Blackmore is noting that there could be more people hurt in what are believed to be random attacks, and the RCMP is dedicating the maximum extent of their resources to finding and assisting these victims, and arresting the two men involved. Prince Albert and Regina Police Services are also assisting with checkpoints to find the suspects.

The province-wide warnings have been extended to both neighboring provinces, Manitoba and Alberta, in continued efforts to catch the suspects.

Incidents began this morning, James Smith Cree Nation issues state of emergency

At around 7:12 AM on September 4th, officers from the Saskatchewan detachment put out the first province-wide alert of two suspects who were fleeing the law after numerous violent incidents in the James Smith Cree Nation and Weldon area.

- Advertisement -

Since then, numerous updates have come in from the RCMP, believing the suspects to be headed to the Regina area. Police have received witness statements that the suspects were in the capital around 11:20 AM.

Since then, Blackmore said in her statement, the direction of travel and location the suspects are headed to is unknown. They may have also changed the vehicle they are driving. The last one they were driving was a black Nissan Rouge, SK Plate 119-MP1.

Currently, the RCMP is still telling people in Regina to take precautions and consider sheltering in place if possible. They should also not let a stranger into their homes or pick up any hitchhikers at this time.

The James Smith Cree Nation has a state of emergency in effect at this time, along with the Chakastaypasin Band of the Cree Nation and Peter Chapman Band. This is in response to mass casualties in their community and will remain in effect until 5 PM September 30th, or when the suspects are caught.

STARS treated several patients, three dispatched to James Smith Cree Nation

In a statement to CBC, Mark Oddan, STARS air ambulance spokesperson, said three Air Ambulances, one from Regina and two from Saskatoon, were dispatched to James Smith Cree Nation. The first from Saskatoon triaged patients, the second brought a physician there.

Ground crews brought patients from JSCN to Prince Albert, Melfort, and Nipawin, while helicopters brought one patient from the Melfort Hospital and two from the scene to Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon. The SHA is also activating its emergency response, and calling in more staff to help, according to CBC.

Descriptions of suspects updated with new photo of Myles Sanderson earlier this morning

The two men are described as follows: Damian Sanderson is 5 foot 7, 155 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. Myles Sanderson is bigger, being described as 6 foot 1, 240 pounds with black hair and brown eyes as well.

Earlier today, photos were circulated but the RCMP says one of the photos, of Myles Sanderson, was not correct. A new photo, attached to this one, is the most up-to-date one the RCMP has.

If these men are sighted, the RCMP says under no circumstances should they be approached. Instead, call 911 immediately. They add that people should not reveal police locations publically at this time either.

Police checkpoints have been set up across Saskatchewan, the RCMP notes, with officers checking identifications.

This story is currently unfolding, more will follow when it is available. 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading