HomeNewsLloyd Comp debuts phase one of school build

Lloyd Comp debuts phase one of school build

The Lloydminster Comprehensive High School fraternity is excited to show off both its building renovation and ongoing expansion as they led a tour of the development on Tuesday.

The build which ramped up in the fall following last May’s sod turning debuted the first installment which has turned existing space of some 500 square metres into a new student support services area and administration office.

The second part of the build which includes the new Synergy Place gym along with classrooms is some 5300 square metres and officials are aiming for a late 2023 completion with proposed first occupancy in early 2024.

Indigenous coordinator Denae Bruce at the desk in the new Indigenous student support space at LCHS. [Photo: Gerry Lampow 106.1 The Goat/Vista Radio]
The new student services space houses a staff of seven that includes career and guidance counsellors with room for expansion, as well as new office space for Indigenous student supports.

Grade 12 student Rhya Payne welcomes the school’s expanded services as the school population is increasing by some 300 students when the build is complete.

“The new kids that will be coming in – it will help provide an area for them to also de-stress and I think personally for me it has made my schooling easier to get through grade 10, 11, and 12. And especially this year with this bigger room and that all our ESTs (Education Support Team) and counsellors are in the same area – it just makes it a little bit easier to get everything done.”

The $28.8 million build is funded by the Saskatchewan government in partnership with Alberta to add on 17 new classrooms, a home economics lab, construction workshop and the 1200 square metre Synergy Place gymnasium.

Construction update at Lloydminster Comprehensive. [Photo: Gerry Lampow 106.1 The Goat/Vista Radio]
School principal Dwayne Marciniw toured media through the renovation for the administration space and student support areas as well as the ongoing expansion and shares how the development will cater to the new student population which will include grade nines from Lloydminster Public School Division-middle schools.

“By integrating our grade nines with 10s, 11s and 12s will allow an opportunity to look at career options down the road – maybe a little bit earlier. There will also be a greater selectivity of elective courses at LCHS that aren’t available at middle schools currently. So, maybe just that exposure to increased program opportunities and to older more mature students will provide a better experience for grade nines at LPSD.”

The construction team say the school expansion is at the halfway point with about 90 per cent completion being targeted in the fall ahead of preliminary occupation next year.