Lloydminster businesses should be aware of a potential email scam going around.
On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 the City was advised of an individual contacting local businesses regarding membership in the business directory. The individual identified himself as ‘Alfred.’
The City of Lloydminster has advised that it does not solicit personal information by email and businesses are advised not to share information with this individual.
Business operators who receive contact from the scammer are asked to report the incident to both the City and the Lloydminster RCMP. A file has been opened with the Lloydminster RCMP.
- RCMP administrative line: 780-808-8300
- Lloydminster City Hall: 780-875-6184
The City has also provided some tips for spotting phishing emails:
- Check the sender’s email address – especially the domain – to ensure you know the sender.
- Be vigilant for unusual hyperlinks or attachments.
- Be extremely cautious if the message asks for money or personal information.