Since Nov. 8, officials with the City of Lloydminster have issued an order to shut down the Manhattan Inn over fire and safety code issues.
The matter came up at the council on Monday with the property owner outlining what steps he would take to meet the requirements, and citing the cost challenges.
The assistant fire chief confirmed to council the issues which were outlined in council documents including shortcomings in fire alarm systems, exit lighting, emergency lighting, fire separation and smoke control, electrical, storage, housekeeping, and exits.
Also, discussed at council was the lack of a backup battery for the fire alarm, a missing sprinkler system, combustible material in the building, and that the investigation dated back to 2021.
Council voted to maintain the order in place until the owners of the Manhattan Inn could bring the building into compliance with the National Fire Code of Canada.
The entire issue came to the fore when the owners tried to open a nightclub at the property located at 4615 50 Avenue, and failed the subsequent building inspection. The property houses a hotel and liquor store.