â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsLakeland students take the runway for Fashion on a Budget show

Lakeland students take the runway for Fashion on a Budget show

The Business Club at Lakeland College is challenging their students to dress to impress while on a budget.

The 5th annual Fashion on a Budget Show is put on by the college to help their graduating students find professional outfits for the workforce on a limited budget. Vice President of the Business Club Kimberly Steier says that they look for students from all backgrounds to participate in the show.

“We actively look for students in every department and try to make sure we have culturally diverse participants. So that it’s not about looks, it’s about being able to be almost like a diva on a dime and that you’re able to really utilize your limited funds to the maximum of its capability.”

This year Lakeland is working with the Lloydminster Sexual Assault Centre by presenting a video to inform the attendees about the affects of assault. The evening will also include international entertainment and the main attraction, the fashion show.

Steier says that the participants are challenged to buy outfits at secondhand stores in the City and by doing this they are encouraging them to support their community.

“We give our contestants a challenge of coming up with a themed outfit. So this year the theme is an awards banquet or gala evening. So they have $33.33 to come up with an appropriate attire for that kind of evening.”

The event is taking place Thursday at the Lloydminster campus and people are encouraged to bring donations in the form of clothing or money that will go to the Interval Store.