HomeNewsStudents at Mother Teresa School kick-off Pitch-In Week

Students at Mother Teresa School kick-off Pitch-In Week

All the students in Mother Teresa Early Childhood and Education Centre gathered to clean up garbage around their school as part of Pitch-In Week.

On Tuesday, students picked up litter, swept sidewalks and learned the impact of garbage on the environment. Grade two student Gladys Kuto is part of the Save the Earth Club at the school. She says that she wants to help save the earth.

“It makes me feel happy and grateful that I’m cleaning the whole world for other people.”

City officials were also in attendance showing their support for the environment. Mayor Gerald Aalbers says that Pitch-In week is as much about the education of littering as it is the cleaning.

“I think it’s important that we engage as many people as we can. I think it starts with the education portion of Pitch-In. It’s been there for a long time and I think it’s great that the schools involved. We got a few parents out, the teachers are out with the kids and they’ll be talking about it.”

Pitch-In week will end off with a Household Hazardous Waste Round-Up at the exhibition grounds on Saturday, where residents can bring batteries, light bulbs, used oil or anything that needs to be properly disposed of.

“I can talk about the environmental benefits and I can talk about the cost benefit because when we don’t have to go back to a landfill and deal with items that weren’t properly disposed of 25 years ago. I’m sure people will 25 years from now will say hey I’m glad they did it right,” says Aalbers.

On Thursday, Lloydminster Scouts will clean up Jaycees Park, the First Baptist Church will pick up litter at Bud Miller Park and Ilocano Association will clean up Miner Park both on Sunday.