HomeNewsElementary students learn about bike safety

Elementary students learn about bike safety

Students at Winston Churchill School gathered with their bikes to learn all about bike safety.

Education and Prevention Coordinator with the Saskatchewan Health Authority Kaitlyn Kosch says bike safety aligns with Safe Kids Week across the country, which is focusing on concussion at home, on the road and at play.

“We’ve got planned a bike rodeo where there’s a lot of activities for the students to get comfortable on their bike, get their bikes checked out. I’m here to focus on helmet safety making sure the kids are wearing the right helmet for them and that it’s on properly.”

The kids took their bikes out to the playground where various stations were set up to practice using their bikes safely. Grade Three Student Summer Scott says she learned that wearing a helmet is most important.

“Teach me to always wear a helmet and if you don’t wear a helmet your head would have an injury.”

Kosch says research shows that wearing a properly fitted bike helmet everytime reduces your chance of a brain injury by 88 per cent.

Owner of Grinding Gears in Lloydminster Jim Taylor was also on hand teaching the kids how to check their bikes, including tire pressure and handlebars. Meanwhile, the RCMP were teaching students about different hand signals and to look both ways before crossing the street.

Constable Michael Hagel says signalling is important not only for the cyclist but also drivers.

“It gives the driver of the vehicle something to look at so they know what the kids going to do. The child is not going to dart in front of them and it’s not going to be a surprise when they turn right.”

Hagel says on the Alberta side at the age of 16 helmets are required, whereas on the Saskatchewan side it is not a requirement. Despite one side of the City not required by law to wear a helmet, Hagel stresses the importance of children wearing helmets at all times.