HomeNewsSchools welcome back students for first day of classes

Schools welcome back students for first day of classes

Rendall Park Elementary School was one of the many schools in Lloydminster welcoming back students for the 2018-2019 school year. On Tuesday, thousands of kids stepped inside of their schools for the first time since the summer break to restart their regular routines.

Grade six student at Rendall Park Meegan Clark says she was ready to get back to school.

“I was looking forward to getting back to school, seeing all my friends and meeting the new teacher.”

Grade six teacher at Rendell Park Shawn Coulter says preparing for the first day of school is different each year.

“That’s the most exciting part is seeing the kids that are coming in, some familiar faces and some brand new faces. You get into the school and you do a little planning and preparation but it really starts when the kids walk through the door. You see the smiles and a little bit of nervousness you settle back in and you’re ready to go”

He says in order to get back into the swing of school there has to be a lot of review of routines and procedures.

“I told the kids I don’t expect you to know this right away and I don’t expect that we’re going to fall right back into it, but by the end of the week we should start to do that. We’ll review every day and then once a week from then on.”

Grade six student Jordyn Wolfe is attending Rendall Park for the first time.

“I was looking forward to being in grade six and it’s exciting because I’ve never been to this school before, I’m new. It’s really exciting to try new things in school.”

Wolfe says she is most looking forward to learning French and attending the school’s hockey academy this year.