Listen Live

HomeNewsLloydminster Bobcats to host second annual "Hockey Hooky"

Lloydminster Bobcats to host second annual “Hockey Hooky”

The Lloydminster Bobcats will fill the Centennial Civic Centre’s seats with kids for their annual “Hockey Hooky” event. On October 17, the Bobcats will take on the Sherwood Park Crusaders in front of about 1,400 kids from different schools in and around the city.

Business Manager Kat Pollard says last year only students from the Lloydminster Public School Division attended as they were testing the waters. However, this year they plan on having as many kids as possible.

“Not only do we have students from LPSD we also have students from the French school in town, Sans-Frontiéres, as well as different schools from Kitscoty, Marwayne Marshall, Hillmond, Lashburn and surrounding communities.”

The team is still looking for sponsors to provide a completely free experience for the kids. Last year, the tickets were free, but popcorn and drinks were an extra charge.

“Any sponsorship that we can have whether it’s monetary donations that can go towards the cost of those or if they want to donate a prize for an intermission activity or cover the costs of things like that we would greatly appreciate it.”

Pollard says for many kids in the community the Bobcats are their heroes and they look up to the players.

“Some of these kids will never get a chance to come to a Bobcats game depending on their circumstances. This is our chance to reach out to them and invite them into the arena so they can experience this. This is a crazy game to experience, the atmosphere is absolutely electric in there.”

Pollard says the players will be in some of the schools to spend time with the students before the event. The general public can still attend the game for $10 admission, however, there will be standing room only available.