HomeNewsSurvivors remembered on Orange Shirt Day

Survivors remembered on Orange Shirt Day

The Lloydminster School Divisions are remembering those affected by residential schools.

Orange Shirt Day spreads awareness about children who attended residential schools. The orange shirt represents the children who had their identities stripped away. September 30th was selected because around that date in the 1970s is when Indigenous children were taken from their homes and sent to residential schools.

On Friday, support swarmed in from schools around Lloydminster such as Holy Rosary High School. Aboriginal Coordinator for the Catholic School Division Cynthia Young believes it’s important for students to learn about a time that affected a lot of people.

“There was a time when we didn’t teach anything about our Canadian history and the truth behind what really happened to native people of Canada.”

Students and staff around HRHS wore their orange shirts as a sign of awareness and remembrance. Young says seeing the amount of support is overwhelming and touching.

“It’s just heartwarming. It’s nice to know that me informing them, guiding them and supporting is paying off. They’re understanding me.”

Over the past couple weeks, Young has been stopping into classrooms to inform students and staff of the events behind Orange Shirt Day. Yesterday started off with a presentation for the day and Orange cookies were handed out by Youngs Cree class.

Young says the amount of support has grown tremendously within the last 5 years since the days launch in the division.

“People aren’t able to get me in their classrooms are still standing up for the day and supporting us with their orange shirt. That’s a big thing.”

Young says she wants students to continue to learn about their history.

“Keep it going, keep learning and keep understanding. The more you learn the more you understand. I hope they keep their Indigenous and cultural learning going.”