â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsAmerican Sign Language & Deaf Culture becomes full-time course at Lakeland

American Sign Language & Deaf Culture becomes full-time course at Lakeland

Lakeland students will be able to enrol for full-time American Sign Language and Deaf Culture Studies starting in September 2019.

The program is currently online or in a classroom at the Alberta School for the Deaf in Edmonton. In a news release Thursday, Lakeland says the program currently takes students two years to complete, it will take one year if done full-time. Lakeland has offered the program in Edmonton since 2005.

Dean for the School of Health, Wellness and Human Services Janice Aughey says the program will still be offered part-time for students who don’t want the accelerated courseload.

“By giving our students the option to take this program full-time means they will be eligible for financial aid and awards. It also promotes language skill development at a faster pace, which may be appealing to those students who continue their studies in our sign language interpretation program.”

Students in the in the program learn American Sign Language skills, history, current trends and issues in the Deaf community. Lakeland says people from a range of professions such as social workers take the program to help communicate with those around them. 39 students are currently enrolled in the part-time certificate program.