HomeNewsAvery School students sending out care to the community

Avery School students sending out care to the community

Students at the Avery Outreach School have come together to provide some care to people needing it in the Lloydminster community.

An initiative spearheaded by grade 12 student Liberty Coustin got the students creating “We Care” packages, which will be passed out at the Lloydminster Youth Centre, Lloydminster Comprehensive High School and her own school, Avery Outreach. The packages are filled with hygiene products, stress balls and journals to help kids with expressing their feelings.

The program became a reality with a $750 grant from TakingITGlobal, which works with the Canadian Government. When she found out about the grant, Coustin said she wanted to get the project moving.

“I thought it’d be a good idea to do a grant because there’s a lot of people that need a lot of things they can’t afford. So I thought: ‘Get it.'”

After it was confirmed that Coustin’s project would receive the grant, the school came together to pack the care bags, get them ready to be sent out, and students also wrote inspirational messages on them. Grade 11 student Emily Henry oversaw that part of the project, and she hopes her love of working with words can help someone.

“Whatever they need in that moment in time, whatever it means to them, what they need to know.”

The school is getting ready to distribute the care packages within the next few days.