Listen Live

HomeNewsLakeland College, Athabasca University to offer new degree options

Lakeland College, Athabasca University to offer new degree options

Lakeland College is expanding the degrees they offer to university transfer student. Their partnership with Athabasca University has been on for 14 years and will grow to allow 12 new options for Athabasca University degrees.

Starting this September, those degrees can be completed locally at Lakeland’s Lloydminster campus. Michael Crowe, Vice President, Academic and Research for Lakeland College is pleased with the expansion and says it’s an exciting development for students looking to achieve their educational goals.

“This partnership allows university students to start and finish their degree program without having to leave our community, which is an exciting value-added opportunity as they will have access to our student support services and more,” says Crowe, adding that the partnership helps create paths for students to realize their full potential.

The 12 new degree options include a bachelor of arts with concentrations in history, psychology, sociology and general, a bachelor of arts with majors in history, political economy, psychology and sociology, a bachelor of human resources and labour relations and a bachelor of science with majors in general, applied math and human science. To date, university transfer students have had access to Athabasca University’s bachelor of general studies degree program.

To complete these 90 and 120-credit undergraduate programs, university transfer students will take a mix of face-to-face courses offered by Lakeland College and online courses totalling 30 credits from Athabasca University. Dr. Matthew Prineas, Athabasca University Provost and Vice-President Academic, says these partnerships are important to improving access barriers to education.

“Partnerships like this are crucial for community leaders who want to build their community without having to leave it and for the learners who want the ability to personalize and optimize their chosen educational pathway,” says Prineas.

The two institutions have agreed in principle to a dual-admissions process. This would allow university transfer students to enrol as both a Lakeland College and Athabasca University student from the start of their chosen degree program.

Lakeland’s business students have also had access to university-level study from Athabasca University thanks to the institution’s longstanding partnership. Students who’ve completed the college’s business
administration diploma program can complete a bachelor of commerce or bachelor of management degree in two years.