Warm weather shuts down skating season
The City of Lloydminster is packing in the skating season for another year.
The city says warmer weather has made outdoor ice surfaces thaw, and all are closed, effective immediately. There will be barricades around the ice at Bud Miller Park and the PSM Lawyers Park Centre will also be closed until later in the spring.
The following ice surfaces are closed:
Queen Elizabeth School, 5512 51 Avenue
● Kin Kinette Park, 4713 57 Avenue
● Russ Robertson Arena (west of arena), 5105 34 Street
● Husky Energy Speed Skating Oval, 5202 12 Street
● Bishop Lloyd Middle School, 5524 31 Street
● Winston Churchill Elementary School, 4402 27 Street
● Jack Kemp Community School, 3701 47 Avenue
● E.S. Laird Middle School, 4808 45 Avenue
The city is also warning people to stay off retention lakes, even if they look frozen, as they could be thawed underneath. Signage will be put up and residents should ensure that they keep kids and pets away.