HomeNewsPitch-In Week kicks off at Queen Elizabeth

Pitch-In Week kicks off at Queen Elizabeth

Pitch-In Week 2019 officially kicks off in Lloydminster at Queen Elizabeth School. The annual community-cleanup week hopes to engage members of the community in helping to clean up their surroundings.

Queen Elizabeth students braved the springtime snow to help sweep up their schoolyard. Students took part in some sweeping of their school’s front bus area. City councillor Stephanie Brown Munro helped rally the students for cleaning up their space and had fun doing it.

“It’s always nice to see the kids get out and help clean up their community, and take pride in something bigger than themselves. It was a great turnout this morning, and they braved the snow, so that was nice,” says Brown Munro.

Brown Munro noted that she’s unsure if the school is normally this clean, or if litter is beneath a layer of snow. The kids helped where they could and enjoyed hearing about street sweeping operations from a city employee. The students got to ask questions in front of a real street sweeping unit and learn more about what keeps the city clean.

Brown Munro hopes the engagement will help Lloydminster’s kids learn the importance of keeping the community clean. She hopes the week helps inspire youth to take action on pieces of litter they find around the community and pick them up.

“If you see a piece of litter, pick it up! Because it’s not going to do anybody any good just sitting there. Just take a little responsibility, even if it’s not your garbage on the ground, to pick it up and take pride in our community.”

The cleaning activities were joined by Landon Code, the city’s manager of wastewater treatment. Code had a lot of fun helping teach kids the value of cleaning up the community.

“Even though the weather is snowing as it is, just to have the children involved, and be environmentally friendly and cleaning up around their school and neighbourhood, was spirit lifting. To see they actually do care about the environment in our city,” says Code.

The city hopes others will participate in Pitch-In Week by organizing their own cleanup groups. It’s prepared special Pitch-In kits for the effort, which can be reserved on the city’s website.