â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsE.S Laird selected to receive new books with Adopt-a-School

E.S Laird selected to receive new books with Adopt-a-School

CORRECTION: The article has been changed to state E.S Laird is a middle school.

___________________________________

Among all the in-need schools in Canada, a Lloydminster middle school has been selected to receive a library upgrade. E.S Laird is taking part in the Indigo Love of Reading Foundation’s Adopt-a-School program.

Coles in Lloyd Mall will be fundraising through a three-week campaign from September 14th to October 6th to help E.S Laird have the opportunity to fill their shelves with new books. Residents will be able to participate by donating at the store or by purchasing one of the 50 books off the school’s registry. When the reader buys a book on the list a copy will go to the elementary.

One of the teachers at the school, Shaun Donald, says a wider variety of books will give students an opportunity to cater to their specific reading tastes.

“It allows the student to pick something they enjoy, something that will hopefully give them a love for reading and improve their vocabulary, improve their speech, improve their reading and communication skills.”

This year, 182 Canadian high-needs elementary schools across the country have been “adopted”. Donald hopes once the library is affected by the results of the program more kids will get into reading.

“We’re trying to get more students into the library, into reading, into reading to paper books as well, things they can take around very easily. With more selection, it gives more of a reason for students to come in.”

E.S Laird will be at Coles in Lloyd Mall on September 22 offering up fun activities for kids and to encourage people to visit the book store in support of the school. To further support the program, E.S Laird is inviting community members to a Turkey Pie Bingo on October 3. All proceeds will support the Adopt-a-School program.