Listen Live

HomeNewsLCHS Drama Department to run ABBA musical

LCHS Drama Department to run ABBA musical

Mamma Mia, here we go again for the Lloydminster Comprehensive High School Drama Department. The students are following up last year’s production of Grease with the Broadway hit Mamma Mia! Drama Teacher Simon Stang says the hardest part is finding the next production was choosing the right script.

“No matter how good your actors are or how bad your actors are; the choosing of the script is what makes people come to buy tickets. So if you’re going to be risky and choose something that’s not well known then you really have to have the cast and promotion to back it up.”

Stang looked at scripts for Little Shop of Horrors and Shakespeare in Love before deciding on Mamma Mia! Stang says the decision resonated with students as many of them knew about the production because of the movie or because of ABBA’s music.

“Who really doesn’t like ABBA? There’s a lot of people who like ABBA, especially in the demographic for the people who buy tickets for these shows.”

Stang says the script aligned with the cast well this year because there were many female performers in the club and the show has plenty of female parts.

The musical follows Donna Sheridan and her daughter Sophie as they prepare for Sophie’s wedding. Sophie secretly invites three men from Donna’s past to the wedding to find out if any of them is her father.

Grade 11 student Sydnie Jenkins will be playing the role of Donna, who she says is a feisty character and is one of the central characters of the play.

Jenkins says it’s her first year taking musical theatre at the high school and she hopes to prove her abilities in the role.

“I always wanted to be part of the musical and everyone wants to get cast but I never expected to get such a big role coming in. It was a really nice surprise to get it.”

Ryanne Jenner is taking the role of Sophie and was a part of the backstage crew for Grease but after seeing the full production wanted to join the performers.

She says before her audition she had never sung in front of other people.

“It was exciting and nerve-wracking and for my first show I think it’ll be pretty good,” says Jenner. “I used to do dance for a couple of years so, the fact that it’s incorporated is pretty exciting as well. There’s lots of music and the show will bring a lot of energy.”

Mamma Mia! will be performed at the Vic Juba Theatre from January 10 to 17. Tickets are available at the theatre or online.