Listen Live

HomeNewsLocal students putting community first with food donations

Local students putting community first with food donations

Kids will soon be in the streets of Lloydminster Trick-or-Treating. 

The day before Halloween, 20 to 30 students from College Park School will be collecting food donations. Cornelius Krahn, grade 7 teacher and teacher leader for WE Team, says that the food will be donated to the Salvation Army Food Bank and Lloydminsters Men Shelter. 

“WE Scare 4 Hunger is a food drive that we host at the school, as well as in the neighborhood. Students are going to be going door to door on Wednesday, October 30, asking for some food donations. Rather than asking for a Halloween treat, we’re going to ask that people donate something for the less fortunate in our community.”

Krahn explains ME to WE is a national organization that is empowering students to look outside their life and look at how the world is doing. College Park School opened in 2014 and they have been participating in WE Scare 4 Hunger ever since. 

Every year, says Krahn, the school raises about 1,000 items. 

“If somebody is not at home on Wednesday from 3:30 to 5:30 and they’d still like to donate something, they can either leave it on on their porch and we’ll be around to collect it or they could even drop it off at the school. Our drop location is right at the front doors.”

Students pair off and go door to door to collect the items. One of the students will be Jada Wilchynsky. The grade 7 student says that it doesn’t matter if you spend time with a friend or not because your helping the community. 

“I volunteered last year because that’s the year I really got into helping people. I just love people and getting what they need, and they deserve it.”

Another grade 7 student, Hunter John, will be donating Ramen noodles and soup. He explained why he started participating in WE Scare 4 Hunger, when he was younger he felt an emptiness and knew he had to help. 

“We’re going to be trick-or-treaters, but without the costume and instead of asking for candy, we are going to be for food so that people who are less fortunate can have their own Halloween.”  

Krahn believes that students between grades 6 to 9 start to develop an understanding that there’s a world outside of their own lives, and this is a great way to make a difference in the community.