Listen Live

HomeNewsLakeland College launching social media campaign for Giving Tuesday

Lakeland College launching social media campaign for Giving Tuesday

Lakeland College is participating in a global movement created to give back and volunteering instead of spending on Black Friday.

The College is taking part in Giving Tuesday from November 27 to December 3. The movement was created in 2012 in a response to the commercialism and consumerism of Black Friday. Georgina Altman, Lakeland College Vice-President of External Relations and Infrastructure, says the College will be promoting the programs and services that help students through social media. 

“We know that success and studies happen outside of the classroom so we’re looking at helping students with mental health strategies from academic tutoring to services that help students with stress, anxiety and depression.”

A study done by the College in 2019 found half of the students surveyed felt hopeless or anxious within the last year. On December 3, students will be sharing their stories of how the services helped them during their time at the college.

“We’ve taken a really concerted effort to promote our students needs and success for students happens inside and outside of the classroom. We’re trying to fill the needs of our students with the work that we do.”

Altman says this is the first time they’ve participated in Giving Tuesday in some time. Donations to the school services can be found on their website. Altman says those wanting to make a donation in person they are welcome to stop by either campus.