HomeNewsSt.Mary's displays what it's like to be an everyday superhero

St.Mary’s displays what it’s like to be an everyday superhero

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s students at St.Mary’s. The school’s Superhero Day spotlights qualities we all possess as everyday superheroes such as kindness, consideration and compassion.

St.Mary’s students getting their faces painted during Superhero Day. (Tre Lopushinsky/106.1 The Goat.)

The event was a part of the Lloydminster Catholic School divisions partnership with the Beyond Borders Circle of Change which focuses on anti-bullying programming and training in Lloydminster schools.

Grade 5 teacher Robyn Salzl says putting an effort into kindness at a young age will help students in the future. As a first-year teacher, she says seeing the excitement from the students makes it all worth it.

“It’s crazy planning all this, but seeing the smile on the kid’s faces and seeing all them talking to each other and helping each other. My Student Representative Council is running some of the stations. It’s just so awesome to see.”

Throughout the afternoon on February 14th, a variety of kindness activities were set up in different classrooms for students to participate in. Students also won tickets at different stations for demonstrating kindness which was used in a charity draw.

Proceeds from popcorn and water sales went toward the Kinsmen Telemiracle providing resources to residents with specialized needs for medical assistance and equipment.

Grade 7 student and SRC member Briella says she joined the council to gain a new circle of friends and become a leader in the school.

“Everyone here knows that we are being superheroes of kindness. Everyday superheroes are here and helping with everything in our world. You have to recognize that so you can be one of those everyday superheroes by just opening a door for someone.”

The event also highlighted some real-life heroes in Lloydminster with the founder of Project PJ, Olivia Brockhoff, and the Lloydminster Bobcats came by to visit St.Mary’s students.