Several Lakeland College athletes have new pieces of hardware commemorating their achievements.
The Rustlers held their awards ceremony Tuesday night, albeit somewhat differently due to current health concerns. Students, coaches and attendees got together on Zoom, a video-call service that allowed them to celebrate their achievements together while being apart physically.
Rustlers Men’s Volleyball Left-Side Matt Peck says it was an amazing feeling to win the Male Athlete of the Year award, and it’s the fruition of a dream he’s had since starting school.
“It’s a massive honour. I remember in my first couple years going to Lakeland, how much I looked up to the guys and girls who won that award. It’s always been a goal of mine, so being able to achieve it felt pretty nice.”
While the athletes not being together could have put a damper on spirits, the college’s feeling of togetherness shined through.
Peck praised his teammates, many of who received awards as well, for their commitment and skill.
“We were all chatting the whole night as the awards were going on, and sort of seeing who else got an award from different teams. It’s a little different than how we normally get together on awards night, but we still got together and had a good night as a team.”
A full list of award winners can be found below.
- Male Athlete of the Year: Matt Peck, Rustler’s Men’s Volleyball
- Female Athlete of the Year: Brianne Hergott, Rustlers Women’s Basketball
- Women’s MVP: Brianne Hergott
- Women’s Rustler Award: Tori Dugan
- Women’s Rookie of The Year: Elle Lieffers
- Women’s Most Improved: Jaden Cook
- Men’s MVP: Rashon Russell
- Men’s Offensive Player of the Year: Ricardo Joseph
- Men’s Defensive Player of the Year: Terrell Murdaugh
- Men’s Rookie of The Year: Jamon Campell
- Women’s MVP: Jenay Varga
- Women’s Rustler Award: Brooklyn Boehm
- Women’s Rookie of the Year: Olivia Michel
- Women’s Most Improved: Belle De Vries
- Men’s MVP: Juan Carlo Funez
- Men’s Rustler Award: Matt Peck
- Rookie of The Year: Mason Short
- Men’s Most Improved: Quentin Rehmann
- Women’s Soccer MVP: Natasha Luedtke
- Women’s Futsal MVP: Teigan McDonald
- Women’s Rookie of the Year: Davis Bone
- Women’s Rustler Award: Sterling Cannan
- Women’s Most Improved: Nicole Pruim
- Men’s Soccer MVP: Giordano Ciccacci
- Men’s Futsal MVP: Chase Cal
- Men’s Rustler Award: Doyle Church
- Men’s Rookie of The Year: Mitchell Wagner
- Men’s Most Improved: Oore Peters
- MVP: Carter Babij
- Rustler Award: Max Kurjata
- Rookie of The Year: Krista Gervin
- Most Improved: Jared Mason
Cross Country Running Awards
- MVP: Nikki Ylioja
- Rustler Award: Joshua Lang
- Rookie of The Year: Greg Bendick
- Most Improved: Katherine Oeggerli
- MVP: Jeanette McGlynn
- Rookie of the Year: Quinn Hlus
- Most Improved: Duong Nguyen