â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsHoly Rosary High School approved for provincial expansion funding

Holy Rosary High School approved for provincial expansion funding

The Lloydminster Catholic School Division has been approved for some expansion funding.

On June 23rd, the Saskatchewan Government announced that Holy Rosary High School will receive part of $110.5 million total given to six schools across the province.

Holy Rosary’s board says they will be adding on 16 more classrooms and broadening space for the PAA, their library and the common area. In addition, there will also be added room for lockers, washrooms and storage. The work has been in the funding stages for ten years with both provincial governments.

Holy Rosary Principal Vince Orieux says being able to build on the school is fantastic news.

“Having extra classroom space and expanded Practical and Applied Arts is going to be great for kids. We’ll be able to enhance the programs we currently offer but bring in some new programs as well.”

Holy Rosary’s original capacity was 750 students but the school will have around 970 by next semester. This expansion will open room for 400 more, and the board says existing infrastructure will make it a smooth build.

LCSD Director of Education Nigel McCarthy says there will be minimal interruptions to student learning during the project.

“I’ve learned in building a few schools over the years, that by reaching out to your partners, whether that be colleges, or the city, or some of the alternative spaces that Lloydminster is so rich in, that we’ll have some opportunities to ensure that the student learning isn’t disrupted by the process of construction.”

The work is expected to take about two years, during which the school will be listening to and working with staff and student feedback.