HomeNewsLakeland names President's Medal winners for 2020

Lakeland names President’s Medal winners for 2020

Lakeland College has announced its recipients of the 2020 President’s Medal.

The college recognizes two students per year with the award, commemorating their outstanding achievements both on and off campus. The award has been given out since 1981 to a student from both the Lloydminster and Vermilion schools. This year’s Lloydminster recipient was Tylor Oliver, who studied real estate appraisal and assessment. The recipient for Vermilion was Quinn Hlus, a Bachelor of Applied Sciences in the Environmental Management program.

Hlus says that it was a big honour for her to receive the President’s Medal, as she looked up to other students who’d won the medal in previous years.

“The people who have won the President’s Medal are the people who really go above and beyond, and to kind of be considered for something like that and know that I’ve really left an impact at Lakeland College really means the world to me.”

Both Oliver and Hlus were involved with many aspects of campus life. Both served as Student Association VPs of Finance on their respective campuses. Hlus also served on the Lakeland Board of Governors, was an ambassador for several student causes and was involved with several sports teams at Lakeland. Oliver was involved in public speaking on the Synergy Speakers’ Corner, as well as working on the acidemic council and helping organize student events.

Hlus says it’s hard to pick just one highlight from her time at Lakeland College, but serving as VP of Finance sticks out in her mind.

‘That experience sort of opened up a million firsts for me, in terms of leadership opportunities. That was sort of the kickstart for my involvement at Lakeland College.”

Since graduating, Oliver has moved on to a job as a real estate assessor with the City of Medicine Hat and Hlus is now a junior environmental technician with Ram River Environmental Consultants.