Listen Live

HomeNewsLRHF hands out first Jane Ruptash Scholarship

LRHF hands out first Jane Ruptash Scholarship

Dominic Madlang-awa is the first person to receive the Lloydminster Region Health Foundation’s Jane Ruptash Scholarship.

The $3,000 scholarship is given to a second year nursing student from the Lloydminster region every year. Madlang-awa will be attending his second year of the program at the University of Saskatchewan after completed his first year at Lakeland College.

“I’m honoured to be the recipient, I only wish I had the opportunity to meet Jane,” Madlang-awa says.

He says he hopes to follow in her footsteps and work as a nurse at the Lloydminster Hospital. Madlang-awa and his family immigrated from the Philippines to the Border City in 2006. He graduated from Holy Rosary High School in 2019.

The scholarship was presented to Madlang-awa on August 12th by Ruptash’s daughter Jill and her three grandchildren, Brooke, Drew and Jaelyn.

Ruptash worked as a nursing professional at the Lloydminster Hospital for most of her life. In 2013, she died of cancer. In honour of her hard work and passion for healthcare, her family sponsored an endowment fund to support nursing students in the community.

“We are privileged to be able to help Jane’s family honour the memory of an amazing nurse for our community,” LRHF CEO Malcolm Radke says. “Dominic embodies the passion and work-ethic that Jane brought to her career every day for our hospital, and we are so excited for his future. Jane’s memory lives on.”

The LRHF offers many health-related scholarships which helps fund students post-secondary education.