â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsQueen Elizabeth students gather to salute bus drivers

Queen Elizabeth students gather to salute bus drivers

Students at Lloydminster’s Queen Elizabeth School gathered to celebrate their bus drivers for all they do, especially in the time of COVID-19.

Normally, the school would have a breakfast celebrating their drivers in October, with the kids delivering cards and appreciation notes to them. While this couldn’t happen due to COVID-19 gathering rules, students stood outside with handmade signs and cheered on bus drivers as they came by.

Principal Ryan Mather says many students take the bus either from town or way out in the country, and he was happy that they could all recognize the impact drivers have on kids.

“Bus drivers don’t get a lot of recognition and they’re the first contact that the kids have with the school systems. So, it’s really, really important that they have their smiles, even though you can’t see their smiles right now, but maybe they have a smiling mask on, but they can greet the kids in the morning, and then they send them off at the end of the day too, so that’s pretty fantastic.”

Mather adds that the event also served for a sense of normalcy for the kids, who are going to school in abnormal times.

“School right now is not normal. This is not how we normally do things. So anytime that we have a chance to do something similar to what we have done in the past and bring some normalcy to school, it’s pretty fantastic, it gets the kids excited, it gets them having a little bit of fun.”

While it is not guaranteed what the event will look like next year, whether or not they will be able to do the breakfast for drivers again, they may look at incorporating the parade next year into it.