Listen Live

HomeNewsLakeland Rustlers won't compete in 2021 ACAC winter season

Lakeland Rustlers won’t compete in 2021 ACAC winter season

The Lakeland College Rustlers won’t be competing in the winter semester.

Lakeland College joins several other post-secondaries across Alberta as they will not be participating in basketball, volleyball and futsal in the 2021 ACAC winter season. A formal letter by presidents of the institutions was sent to the ACAC on November 3rd informing them of the decision.

Athletes will continue taking part in training in their respective sports during the semester. Lakeland President and CEO Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart says they will put the safety of the athletes at the forefront as they look at different options for competition outside of the ACAC.

“While this athletic season is unlike any other for our Rustlers, our athletics team will continue to train and evaluate ways to compete safely in exhibition games and other competitive opportunities next semester. We’re committed to providing our student-athletes with the highest quality experience in the safest manner possible.”

The decision to participate in athletic competition was made on a semester-by-semester basis with the ACAC cancelling the fall 2020 season. Lakeland cancelled cross-country running and rowing athletes were limited to training, however Lakeland notes there’s a possibility of virtual competition in the winter semester.

Lakeland rodeo athletes also stuck to training in the fall as the Canadian Intercollegiate Rodeo Association suspended their fall rodeo competitions.

The Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association previously announced student-athletes will not lose any athletic eligibility this season. They will also receive all scholarships and student awards they are eligible for during a regular season.