HomeNewsSask. Government says masks will be mandatory in all public, indoor spaces...

Sask. Government says masks will be mandatory in all public, indoor spaces Monday

The Saskatchewan Government has put out a new public health order, making masks mandatory in all communities over 5,000, effective for 28 days.

This means that effective Monday, November 16th, people visiting any public indoor location in Lloydminster will need to wear a non-medical mask. In addition, public health officials are advising that people were a mask at all locations outside the home as an extra precaution, and if someone is unsure whether or not space qualifies under the Public Health Act, to defer to wearing the mask.

While the Saskatchewan Government can enforce mandatory masks under The Public Health Act, 1994; they say they want to use education as the primary means of protecting public health. They add that enforcement options will be considered based on observed compliance with the order.

The Government has also made mandatory masking posters, which businesses can use to educate customers on the policies.

In total, there will be 59 communities with mandatory masks rules across Saskatchewan. These are made up of both large metropolitan areas and smaller towns deemed close enough to warrant mask rules as well. A full list can be found on the Government of Saskatchewan website.

Schools over 600 recommended bumping back to blended learning

The Saskatchewan Government has recommended high schools with a population over 600 to go into a Level Three delivery method, reducing in-person learning where possible. The Saskatchewan Government has previously suggested implementing hybrid learning models and establishing cohorts as a means of doing this. School divisions may consider options such as alternating days for high school students.

In an online joint statement Friday, both the Lloydminster Public and Catholic School Divisions say they will conduct high school classes as normal Monday, November 16th, but these measures could change what schooling looks like at both the Lloydminster Comprehensive High School and Holy Rosary. The boards plan to announce more details as they become available next week.

No changes for elementary schools have been announced.

Changes coming for liquor sales under new public health order, fitness classes as well

Under the new public health order, all Saskatchewan restaurants and licensed establishments selling alcohol will be required to stop at 10 PM, with consumption ending no later than 11 PM.  There will not be exceptions for private events or outdoor serving spaces.

When it comes to fitness classes, all aerobic group fitness activities, like spin classes, class circuit training, aquacise for example, are limited to a maximum of eight participants. People must also be three metres apart throughout the duration of the activity.

Individual aerobic activities like treadmill, stationary bike or lane swimming are permitted if all required equipment is properly distanced according to the Re-Open Saskatchewan guidelines.

“Back to basics” approach to fighting COVID-19 recommended

The Government is also advocating a return to basics when it comes to fighting COVID-19, including maintaining physical distancing, washing hands frequently and staying home if sick. The Government says a significant number of cases in the province are as a result of people going to school, work and participating in activities when they have been symptomatic.

All businesses and organizations must review the Re-Open Saskatchewan Plan for their respective sector guidelines, the province says, and make any required changes in order to abide by them completely.

Update, 11/13/20 5:42 PM: This story has been updated to reflect comments from the LCSD, LPSD.