â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsLCHS students rounding up donations for the Lloydminster Interval Home Society

LCHS students rounding up donations for the Lloydminster Interval Home Society

Lloydminster Comprehensive High School students are gathering gifts for the Lloydminster Interval Home Society this holiday season.

As part of the 23rd annual Rudolph Round-up, the high school is collecting gifts and living supplies for the society and the women, teenagers and children that need their services. Students are being asked to bring in items such as toys, gift cards, winter jackets, toques, backpacks, bedding, feminine products, baby bottles and diapers. All items must be new.

Leadership Instructor Dwayne Jeffery says the school is looking to really push the drive this year and support the organization as the Interval Home hasn’t been able to hold their regular fundraisers due to COVID.

“We talked to our leadership group on the first night of school and said if every student brought one thing then we’d have 900 plus items for the Interval Home. It was the belief when we did We Scare Hunger back in October and we did that. We brought in almost 1,000 food items to our school.”

Jeffery says the drive has always been about instilling a sense of community in their students which is especially important now.

“The one positive of COVID, not that there’s many, is that I think kids are getting a connection to the community as well as a connection to school. They realize it’s a place for learning and socializing as well. I think they’re getting the bigger picture of what community means.”

He mentions the track record for supporting local causes hasn’t been the best, but the We Scare Hunger food drive may be a turning point. He adds when it comes to supporting international causes, such as hurricane relief, they’ve been very successful.

To try and get the younger children involved, LPSD is also holding a colouring contest for students in Kindergarten to Grade 6 where they will be entered into a raffle to win a gift card. On December 8, students can bring in a donation for another ticket into the draw.

Jeffery says there will also be a box at the front doors of LCHS starting on November 27 for parents and other members of the community who want to donate to the Interval Home. The school will be gathering donations until December 4.