â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsKitscoty High School named winner in #PassOffChallenge

Kitscoty High School named winner in #PassOffChallenge

Kitscoty High School will be getting some funding for their sports programs after winning a social media contest.

The #PassOffChallange was an online contest presented by Alberta Milk and the Alberta Schools’ Athletic Association. The challenge required students to showcase their sports skills and school spirit through a short 15 second video clip. Four Alberta schools were named finalist with each receiving a $5,000 donation for their athletics program.

Phys Ed Teacher Candice Stockman says the students put in a lot of effort into the video. One student in particular, Hanna Berndt, spearheaded the project and was responsible for filming, editing and getting her volleyball teammates on board the video.

“The students were very excited and honestly very proud of themselves for creating these videos all the way along. When we heard Hanna won, she was very excited and instantly tried to think about what she could do to help the phys ed program, what we should spend some of that money on.”

Stockman says they are getting student input on how to spend the donation and some ideas brought up so far are new uniforms or volleyball serving equipment.

“Things we don’t usually have in our phys ed program that we could supplement with the athletics program or the after school extracurricular activities.”

The other winners were Glendon School, Cochrane High School and Jasper Place High School in Edmonton. Alberta Milk says over 80 videos were sent in for the challenge and all contest entries can be found using the #PassOffChallange hashtag on TikTok and Instagram.