â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsLakeland College aiming to offer in person classes again this Fall

Lakeland College aiming to offer in person classes again this Fall

When Lakeland College returns for the Fall semester, the school aims to welcome all students back onto campus again.

In an open letter to students, staff and the community, Lakeland President and CEO Dr Alice Wainwright-Stewart says they will be working with provincial health authorities and the Ministry of Advanced Education to balance both health protocols and students getting the full benefit of hands-on education in the coming school year.

The school has been in a blended learning setup since the onset of the pandemic. Wainwright-Stewart says through successful measures to fight the pandemic, 90 per cent of students have been able to take part in some in-class learning, with 60 per cent of all total course hours being delivered in person.

Lakeland was also only one of two colleges in Alberta to offer face to face training for the trades in apprenticeship and pre-employment.

She adds that earlier in March they were able to bring a full cohort of students back to the Vermilion Campus to be trained at the Emergency Training Centre. Also due to the COVID-19 protections put in place, firefighter training is a go on campus, starting in April.

The school will be enhancing online programming as well this fall, so that it can offer first-year business administration courses and 4th and 2nd class power engineering programs online along with the other online courses available.

The school will continue to provide updates on its website should new information arise.