HomeNewsSaskatchewan students will be getting the COVID-19 vaccine at school in June

Saskatchewan students will be getting the COVID-19 vaccine at school in June

Students at Saskatchewan elementary and high schools, including in Lloydminster, will be able to get the COVID-19 vaccine at school in June.

The Saskatchewan Health Authority is finalizing delivery dates and will communicate to parents via the schools when those are confirmed.

Over 90,000 vaccines will be made available for individuals 12 years of age and older.  Children in this age group will only receive the Pfizer vaccine.

SHA drive-thru, walk-in and booked appointments will be reduced during the school immunizations for about three weeks to ensure this group is immunized prior to the end of the school year.

Written consent will be required for all ages 12-17. Data will also be collected, primarily for tracking purposes, in case the child receives one dose at school and one elsewhere.

Parents are encouraged to speak with their children about consent and the importance of receiving their COVID vaccination. Information about Pfizer and frequently asked questions are available on the SHA website.

Options are available for students who are home-schooled, for students who wish to access immunization sooner, or if parents wish to accompany their child to their appointment.  These options include:

• Visting any participating pharmacy in Saskatchewan;
  • By attending a drive-thru or walk-in clinic – note that these clinics will operate on reduced schedules in June in order to support school-based immunization during the week days;
  • Online booking is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week; or
  • By calling 1-833-SASKVAX (727-5829).