â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsSticks of gum stretch a long way as QE School students donate...

Sticks of gum stretch a long way as QE School students donate to kids hospitals

Some sticks of gum have stretched a long way as Queen Elizabeth School students raised funds for children’s hospitals.

The school held bi-monthly events over the last semester called Gum For Stollery and Gum for Jim Pattison Hospital. Students bought chewing gum for 50 cents, and that money went to children’s hospitals in Edmonton and Saskatoon.

The idea originally came from the fundraising event entitled Collins Carventure in Edmonton, which raises cash for the Stollery. Vice Principal Les Korn has been involved with it for years and says it was the brainchild of their School Community Councils to add Saskatoon’s Jim Pattison Hospital as well.

From there, he explains, students jumped at the chance to help out the fundraiser as they learn about being in tune with their communities.

“We really support student engagement. We want students to grow up involved with their community, by doing these types of events. We really want students to be community-minded citizens, and they really take it upon themselves like ‘Hey, this is going to a great charity, lets help them out.”

Through buying the gum, students raised $1021.25 for Stollery Hospital and $708.15 for Jim Pattison Hospital. The hospitals were chosen because they have impacted the lives of kids here in Lloydminster who have needed their help. It also showed students the importance of helping not just in their community but beyond it as well.

Korn notes that kids saw how something small can have a world of difference when people work together.

“We just want them to be community-minded citizens and them to understand that every penny, whether they’re donating 25 cents, 50 cents, a loonie, it’s making a difference in someone’s lives.”

Korn adds they have plans to bring the campaign back next semester, and also build a relationship with the Lloydminster Hospital and raise some funds for them.