HomeNewsHoly Rosary students top the country scorching gold at Skills Canada videography

Holy Rosary students top the country scorching gold at Skills Canada videography

The video project involved cloning and video editing magic. Grade 12 students Mackenzie DeCrescenzo and Sierrah Bennet are topping the country at Skills Canada as their video project scored gold at the virtual contest held on May 26.

The elation of the students in their graduating year is palpable. Tuesday’s announcement is a first ever national title for Holy Rosary High School.

DeCrescenzo is the on camera talent in  their projects and described her role in their gold medal win.

“The topic of the video was, ‘What are the top five ways the education system has changed in Canada since the COVID-19 outbreak?’ So we really wanted to make the video fun and engaging. We thought why not clone myself and give each of the five points their own personality so the viewer would remember each point.”

The students used a split screen technique with the cloning to make their work easier and kept all the five points of their transition in the project as they felt each was valid.

As My Lloydminster Now reported back in January, DeCrescenzo’s next steps will take her to film school in Vancouver.

The win is bittersweet as this duo has been at skills contests since Grade 10 and its their final time working together at this level. For her team mate and editor, Sierrah Bennet, they are looking to new horizons.

“Skills Canada has been such a great journey for me. I put in a lot of hardwork and dedication to this competition. It’s just so rewarding to see all of this hardwork pay off. It’s a very bittersweet moment because as proud and thankful that I am to have won Nationals, I am very sad that this is my last year competing.”

Bennet will further her studies and wants to become a teacher. Ideally she wants to teach video production and photography, share her talents and allow her students to discover their passion and talent.

Both students are thankful for their time at Holy Rosary and acknowledge the inspiration of their teacher, Skye Ferguson. Bennet says the students benefited from mentorship.

“So Miss Ferguson, we call her ‘Fergie.’ We love her. She is literally our biggest supporter. She encourages us in all that we do. Without her and her mentorship and constant encouragement, we would not have made it as far as we did. She’s taught me everything that I know and I’m just so thankful for her mentorship.”

The Holy Rosary Gold medal win at Skills Canada 2021 can be found on YouTube.