Listen Live

HomeNewsBe CO safe says SaskEnergy

Be CO safe says SaskEnergy

SaskEnergy is reminding residents of the importance of carbon monoxide safety. They say as temperatures cool and reliance on the furnace increases, people need to be prepared to detect carbon monoxide.

The poisonous, invisible gas has no smell or taste. It’s produced when fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces malfunction and dangerous levels of CO can build up when there is insufficient ventilation and an inadequate air supply.

At low exposure levels carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms, while extended exposure can lead to unconsciousness, loss of muscle control, brain damage or even death.

Saskatchewan Emergency crews respond to about 1,300 CO calls each year.

- Advertisement -

Safety prevention measures include:

  • Installing CO alarms to detect and alert people to danger before physical symptoms appear
  • Proper installation, and annual maintenance and inspection of gas equipment, chimneys, and gas appliances by a licensed gas contractor
  • Keeping the area around gas equipment and exterior vents free of debris.

More information about CO safety can be found on the SaskEnergy website.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading