HomeNewsSuper stellar student scores SHAD

Super stellar student scores SHAD

A Lloydminster Comprehensive High School student will spend a month during the summer at a leading Canadian university after scoring top marks at SHAD Canada.

The program has several Canadian schools onboard including University of Calgary and British Columbia, Ryerson, Carleton’s, McGill’s and Dalhousie.

Grade 11 student Delara Jadidizadeh had to complete an application profile, write four essay submissions, upload her most recent report card and provide a teacher’s reference.

SHAD is a summer enrichment program for students to attend in person. It positions itself as having university level STEAM and entrepreneurship content with access to mentors. It runs July 3rd to 29th. Jadidizadeh applied last December and recently got the acceptance letter.

“This year, its being held across 19 universities and focuses on lectures, workshops, experiments and involves founders, CEO’s, entrepreneurs and healthcare professionals coming to talk to you and provide the guidance and knowledge.”

Jadidizadeh is hopeful to get the month-long hands-on learning at either University of British Columbia or Calgary or McGill’s. This semester her Advanced Placement courses at LCHS are English, Mathematics. She is also doing Biology, World History and Psychology on her own. Her other courses are Chemistry and Law.

“I think I did a course back in Grade nine and I think it had a section on law, and it really stood out to me and I think I wanted to try it.”

The piano enthusiast and figure skater may pursue a future career as a scientist but for now this sixteen year-old sees the SHAD opportunity as that first step into what the future may hold.

“Well I think SHAD is going to be a huge part of my life. I think it’s going to be a new experience and really help me as a huge stepping stone for my education down the road to help me figure out what I career I want to pursue.”

Jadidizadeh expects to get confirmation of which university she will be attending at the end of March.