Listen Live

HomeNewsSask. RCMP says one suspect has died, one still at large in...

Sask. RCMP says one suspect has died, one still at large in manhunt

The Saskatchewan RCMP says one of the two suspects in a province-wide manhunt is dead, and the other is still at large, as the investigation into numerous violent attacks continues.

In a Monday afternoon update, RCMP Provincial Commander Rhonda Blackmore says the body of Damien Sanderson, 31, has been found, with wounds that appeared to be “non self-inflicted.”

Myles Sanderson, 30, the other accused, is still at large at this time, Blackmore notes. It’s believed that Myles Sanderson could be injured, but this still has yet to be confirmed. The RCMP is advising people of this so they can watch out at medical facilities if he seeks treatment.

Myles faces three counts of first-degree murder, while Damien had been charged with one count of first-degree murder before he died. Both men also were charged with attempted murder and break and enter. More charges are still expected against Myles Sanderson yet.

The attacks, Blackmore notes, are now believed to be a mixture of random and targeted attacks, and more about the victims is expected to be released in the coming hours and days.

- Advertisement -

One victim publically identified; tributes come in from various levels of government

One of the victims, as confirmed by APTN and CBC, was 49-year-old Lana Head of James Smith Cree Nation. Her ex-partner Michael Brett Burns confirmed this, and that she left behind two daughters, Sable, 31, and Sage, 30. Lana is the first of ten victims to be identified since passing away, and one of 28 total victims, the other 18 being treated for injuries.

At this time, The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe have all offered their condolences to the loved ones of those murdered or injured, with Moe offering care and safety to those affected, and urged anyone with information to contact police, and many Indigenous groups are working to provide support and mental health resources, especially in the impacted James Smith Cree Nation area.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau stated that this kind of violence has no place in Canada and any necessary federal resources have been committed. Indigenous Services Minister Patty Hajdu said she reached out to chiefs and leadership to mobilize care supports “as quickly as possible.” The Red Cross is also providing care where it can, a statement to CBC has announced.

Updates on Myles Sanderson, still at large

In the Monday address, Blackmore noted there’s been no indication yet that either Sanderson tried to cross any provincial or national border.

Myles Sanderson is still described as

  • Six-foot-one.
  • 240 pounds.
  • With brown hair and brown eyes.

Blackmore adds that even if Sanderson is hurt, he is still believed to be armed and dangerous, and anyone who sees him should not approach and instead call 911, local police, or CrimeStoppers.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading